This can be such a challenging question and we want to make it easier to explore choices and to find your answer. We created ProValues, an exercise to help you explore career choices, ask questions, and have a basis for comparison when you’re considering options. If you’re starting your MBA, over the next few months you’ll face a variety of choices and we want to make it easier. Indeed, you may be facing those choices now. Do you find yourself considering a path that you’d previously ruled out? Review your values to see if the new choice is favored.
Why do my career values matter?
It’s never too early to prepare for interviews, and with that, it’s never too early to narrow down what types of opportunities you’d like to pursue! By identifying your values at this early stage, it can help save you the trouble of pursuing an ill-fitting opportunity that does not match up with your preferences and requirements and instead, focus on the opportunities where you’ll excel and enjoy the experience.
How will this help me?
The ProValues™ exercise is an interactive tool, providing a framework to help you evaluate choices in your career.
- Step 1: Identify your career values. What leads to satisfaction in the workplace?
- Step 2: Assess how past and current roles have fulfilled each of your values.
- Step 3: Project how your values will be fulfilled in future roles.
- Step 4: Consider the ProValues™ exercises suggested improvements.
- Step 5: Review your customized networking questions to guide you as you narrow opportunities to explore.
One of the main intents of the exercise is to spark reflection and conversations about future jobs, to better understand what a role entails and in some cases, what it facilitates in your personal life. It can be hard to gauge what a job is like based on job descriptions alone.
How do I get started?
Follow the instructions below, and you’ll be well on your way to learning about how your values fit with future roles you’re thinking about.
- Login to your account at www.provalues.com or create an account here.
- On the menu bar, go to Resources, then Toolbox.
- Click ProValues to begin. Heads up – the exercise can take between 15-40 minutes, depending on how many career experiences you’ve had and the number of choices you are evaluating.
- After you are finished, you can generate a report to keep a copy of your results. Feel free to go back anytime to review and update your exercise!
Note: It may be helpful to have your resume handy!